Stuffed Khandvi Recipe : A soft deliquesce in the mouth with tasty gram flour and yoghurt, round wheel rolls with a delicious tempering. This yummy Gujarati snack is a delight to have but when you make it could be a little tricky. The gram flour and yoghurt seasoned with green chilli paste is properly cooked inside a lump free mixture then, spread this over a greased surface, rolled into a round wheel and later tempering is done with mustard seeds, coriander and coconut. To prepare a perfect khandvi will take you a lot of practice, but once prepared you won’t complain since even the scraps from this dish would taste just as delicious.
Read More : Benefits of Eating Apples
Ingredients for making Stuffed Khandvi (Recipe)
- Besan/ Chickpea flour/ gram flour – 1/2 cup
- Curd/Dahi – 1/2 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Asafoetida/ Hing – 2 generous pinches
- Salt – As required
- Turmeric (alternative) – 1 small quantity
- Coconut, shred – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – 2 Small amount
Steps to make Stuffed Khandvi Recipe
- In a heavy bottomed pan take besan, curd, water, salt and asafoetida (turmeric if you want to add). Using a blender, whisk it smoothly. On a medium flame heat it with consistent stirring. Keep on stirring until bottom because the batter of the bottom gets thickened quickly. Keep on stirring till the mixture gets thickens and it gets cooked. The mixture need not be too thick, it must merely be like a paste that will be easy to spread. Make sure it is not overcooked, or else you won’t get to spread it.
- Keep your cutting board ready. You need a smooth and plain surface. To spread the mixture you need a spatula.
- You must quickly, move the batter on the cutting board. If your batter is more, pour the batter on 1-2 more cutting boards. Make sure it gets cool down perfectly.
- After it gets cool down, draw lines with a sharp knife into strips. Cut the edges.
- Finally, arrange the khandvi in a tray and temper it with mustard seeds, asafoetida and spread it. Garnish your khandvi with coriander and shred fresh coconut.
Take a note of this:
- If you are unable to spread your batter properly it is because the mixture must have got over cooked and even too thick.
- When the mixture gets cooled down, quickly cut it because the spread will become thick and so will the khandvis.
- If you are facing problem while rolling the strips and, if it is sticky then you must understand that your batter is not cooked properly.
- When you are rolling the khandvi, do not apply to much pressure do it gently or else it will break.
Serve khandvi with a green chutney to dip in. An absolute evening snack for you and your family. Preparing a dish like khandvi is an art. It gets better and better once you know how to do it perfectly.
Latest posts by Rebecca (see all)
- Try out this Romantic Punjabi Dish with your partner - February 24, 2017
- Aloo Gobi Recipe – Prepare step-by-step - February 12, 2017
- Look out for some Romantic Resorts in India - February 10, 2017