Daal Makhni made over low flame and cooked slowly overnight in a handi is a thing to be cherished. It pairs perfectly with butter naan and pickled onions. Nothing else compares to the earthy flavors of Daal Bukhara. Add dollops of cream to it to make rich and creamy. I’ve tried making a restaurant style Daal Makhni at home and after repeated trail and error, zeroed in on a recipe. This one is sure to make your taste buds go wild.
Now you don’t have to spend literally thousands of bucks every time you crave for Bukhara style daal makhni. Invite guests over for dinner at your place and watch them lick-the-bowl-clean.
Bukhara Style Daal Makhni Recipe
1 cup Urad daal and 1/4 cup Rajma (soaked over night and boiled in 4 cups water)
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek (kasoori methi)
2-3 chopped green chilies
1 medium onion chopped finely
1/2 cup freshly pureed tomatoes ( made using 3 ripe tomatoes)
1-1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
3 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
coriander for garnish
- Heat some ghee/oil in a pan and add the ginger garlic paste. Now add onions and stir fry till they are golden brown.
- Next add green chilies and all the spices except fenugreek. Cook them till they release the aroma. Add tomato puree to it and cook till they get soft.
- Now add butter and boiled urad daal mix. Cook on low flame for 50 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid the daal from getting burnt. You can add a little water if it gets too thick.
- Add the fenugreek and some salt. Also at this stage add the fresh cream or makhan and stir a little.
- Let the daal makhni bubble over before you remove it from heat.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve with butter naan or roomali roti.
Latest posts by Kavita (see all)
- Toddler’s Meal Plan – A Complete Guide for Mothers - April 6, 2017
- Most Romantic Restaurants in Delhi to go on First Date - March 30, 2017
- 5 Kid Friendly Places in Delhi to visit this Summer - March 29, 2017