I can’t imagine waking up to the smell of broiled fish or munching on seaweed at the breakfast table. But a typical morning in Japan starts off with a bowl of steamed rice, miso soup, broiled fish, nori (dried seaweed) and nato (fermented soyabean).
Let’s take you on a breakfast expedition around the world.
- In China, it is not unusual to start your day with dumplings for breakfast. Soya bean milk or Jiiang is another popular dish on the menu. Baozi or buns filled with pork, vegetables or eggs are a Chinese favorite.
- Mexicans love their pinto beans at any time of the day. Breakfast being the most lavish meal of all, has lip smacking options like burritos, Huevos rancheros (or corn tortillas) and a delicious melted chocolate drink.
- An all American breakfast is widely popular around the world. Bacon strips, over easy eggs, hash browns, buttered toast and piping hot Americano tantalize the taste buds. My stomach starts rumbling just at the thought of all the scrumptious food.
- In France, you begin your day with a small meal that is mostly sweet not savory.The aroma of freshly baked croissants fills the nostrils and sends you in a foodie trance. A steaming cup of café au lait and a few slices of freshly cut fruits complete the meager French Breakfast.
Back home, South Indians are loyal to steamed idlis, pongal and upma. Gujjus can’t image their day without khaman dhoklas or methi-theplas. A traditional Punjabi breakfast table is laden with paranthas dipped in oodles of ghee, fresh yoghurt or buttermilk and pickle. Vada pav is pretty much a staple for people living in Mumbai. I can’t forget the taste of poha garnished with sev and served on a newspaper cutting in the heart of M.P.
If you happen to live in Delhi and haven’t feasted on Nihari then you don’t know what you’re missing out on. Served in the by lanes opposite Jama Masjid in the old part of city, this delectable preparation is packed with flavor in every morsel. You can head to Al Jawahar between 7 am to 11 am or to its more popular neighbor- Karims.
So next time you’re served a bowl of boring cereals with cold milk think of those lucky ones savoring a gastronomic delight. Don’t get jealous just yet, chances are that you can feast on these global delicacies in your city.
Latest posts by Kavita (see all)
- Midnight Cravings – Popular Late Night Food Joints in Delhi/NCR - March 16, 2017
- 5 Hot Destinations for Your Bachelor Party - February 16, 2017
- Experience Heavenly Creamy Frosting, Explore New York’s Delight –Baked Alaska in Delhi - November 22, 2016